We have all been receiving a lot of emails about what various businesses and institutions are doing in response to COVID-19. They all say pretty much the same. I wanted to share with you what they are not sharing. I would also like to share some simple yet very powerful ways to support you physically, mentally and emotionally through this challenge
1. Sleep Well: Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Your body needs to rest in order to repair and restore. Skip the screens about an hour before bedtime. Instead do some enjoyable reading, chat with someone you love or prepare for the next day. The point is, do activities that are slower more restful before bed.
2. Eat Well: Eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and put the package food aside, reduce your animal proteins. Fruits and vegetables are full of the vitamins and minerals that your body needs to build and maintain a healthy immune system. Do some juicing, make smoothies, and snack on fruits and veggies.
3. Breath Well: No one is talking about this at all. But SHUT YOUR MOUTH. Remember that breath work we have been practicing in class all these months???? Through the nose, wide and deep into the belly and side ribs. That’s the breath you want to do as much as you can. Your nose filters the outside world. Your mouth is designed to eat, not breath.
4. Drink Well: Be sure you are getting enough hydration. Most of us are chronically dehydrated and don’t even know it. Your body needs water for all its functions. Good hydration is particularly important for the Lymphatic System which is one of our biggest immune support systems and is extremely important for your Elimination System as well, which moves junk out of the body. Skip the alcohol and caffeine, as both are dehydrating and the former is hard on your liver, which is a primary detoxer in your body.
5. Move Well: Move your body. Did you know your lymphatic system is a big part of your immune system? Well it is, and it does not have its own pump like the heart. So, it needs you to help it circulate. You can do this by moving your body with any kind of exercise. Also, gently caressing your skin, or your lovers…it’s so yummy, why not right?!
6. Think Well: Yup, you can change your thoughts. We practice directing our thoughts in yoga all the time. You can choose to direct your mind in ways that are helpful or harmful. When you begin to head down that rabbit whole of panic and anxiety, find another activity. Stay away from the media inputs. Yes, I realize we need to stay updated right now, but not all day long. Choose one time a day to get connected, then shut it off. Turn your attention towards other things that you find pleasurable and fulfilling.
7. Connect Well: Reach out to your friends and support network. There are so many great ways to connect via the internet, you don’t have to physically visit people. If you are healthy and symptom free, then volunteer. Check in with your friends who are over 65 or have an immune condition and see if they need any support, like a grocery run. Remember, even if you are feeling well, keep your distance (6’ from others). Staying connected and not isolated will ago a long way to support you mentally and emotionally.
8. Laugh Well: Yes! Watch a comedy, tell each other jokes. Laughter boosts the immune system. It also shifts your mind from all the negative thoughts. And it’s fun! Hence, the 'Tabasco Hand Sanitizer' joke for you that was sent to me by my sister.
Currently, my husband has a minor upper respiratory infection, so we are both staying home. I feel fine and have had no symptoms.
TINY STUDIO CLASSES: will be suspended until further notice.
SATYA CLASSES: will be suspended until further notice.
VILLAGE GREEN CLASSES: I will attempt to get a subs for my Saturday or Sunday classes if I cannot attend. I have a week before our next class, so hopefully I won’t have to do that.
IN THE MEANTIME:
I will be offering a 7 week live stream class on ZOOM. On Tuesday nights 6-7:15pm. This will be an all levels, gentle class which will include meditation, pranayama (breathwork) and asana (yoga postures) and end with yoga nidra. I will structure the class in such a way that you could do the entire class with a chair for assistance, if you are having mobility issues.
This class is FREE. I consider it a public service. Feel free to invite your friends.
Here is the link:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 284 954 703
May peace and health be with you!
3/15/2020 08:55:45 pm
Leave a Reply.
Andrea Carvalho, musings on the journey to vibrant embodiment.